1.10.2010

Valentino, the last emperor on Netflix watch instantly



Here's another movie I had time to see this past week. I posted the Charlie Rose interview last March and have finally been able to watch the movie. I think it was great because the movie focuses more on Giancarlo Giammetti, Valentino's long time partner and business partner too. I like seeing the back story.

I must admit, I didn't expect much. I heard it was all just gratuitous crap about the superficial fashion world. It was just that, but there was something beautiful about the long term relationship between Valentino and Giametti. It's not superficial and not showy.

These documentaries really make the patrons, the women who support these designers kind of look ridiculous. They're oohing and ahhing. They're there for the ride. The respect goes to the seamstresses who aren't oohing and ahhing - at least not in the open.

I got one take home message - apparently revealing ankles in an evening gown is tacky. Valentino has never done it. Never.

No comments: