1.03.2009

Generic clothing brands

I don't mind generic groceries, but when it comes to my pants or shirts i don't know if I can trust them. Are they cut right? Are they made well? What have these stores got to lose if they make their own shirts? If their shirts don't sell, the brand names will and they stay in business either way.

A STORY OF MY GENERIC SHOE THAT GOT KILLED
I got Barney's brand loafers at a barneys co-op sale and the first time I wore it the heel broke off. Since I don't wear things I buy until months later (not always) I couldn't return them so I took them to a cobbler near my home. I will never trust cobblers because of him.

First of all he didn't have the shoes ready. When I went to pick them up I saw, in front of my eyes, just how he butchered them. He smeared dark brown shoe polish all over the leather that was purposefully made to look worn (it was the type that shows the scratches beautifully). Then, instead of matching the heel with the original design, he added a plastic one. Since the two were disparately different, he smeared shoe polish all over both the ugly shiny plastic heel and the original wooden heel. He killed my shoes. I have since appreciate what it means to have a good cobbler.


GENERIC GLOVES THAT MAKE UP FOR IT
On the other hand, I have had a good experience with gloves. I misplaced my gloves from last year making me have to get new ones. My go to glove is the generic glove at either bloomingdale's (can't find them online) or Lord and Taylor (clicking will take you there). A picture does not do the simple glove justice.
My grandfather in Japan has a pair that are kazillion years old and he looks so awesome when he wears them. They are so worn out, so subtly sophisticated.

Who would have thought that these house labels could produce gloves that are so classic.


Here they are being worn.


That's all for my generic brand story.

No comments: